Cast Away is a 2000 American survival drama film directed and co-produced by Robert Zemeckis, starring Tom Hanks, Helen Hunt, and Nick Searcy. The main protagonist Tom Hanks works as a FedEx employee and is stranded on an uninhabited island due to their plane crash. The outline of the story is an engaging story of survival. Let’s view the movie intensely to look at different themes portrayed.
The title of the movie stands by itself as it depicts the isolation of the main character from everyone and depicts the survival need to be required to live not just in outer or physical structure but more in terms of psychological concept. The character Chuck portrayed by Tom Hanks shows highly generalized personality traits. A self-motivated and self-control person, the character comes across as a firm and determined person who has an optimistic approach to life.
Techniques used by the character for survival-
· For self-motivation techniques, he uses the compass given by his lover as his strength, feeling of love, and affection towards his lover and hopes to meet her to motivate himself. Also, the thought of delivering one particular package which had a sign of wings on it when he goes back becomes his dose of power for survival.
· For self- control, the techniques he used were 1) the observation of his actions, and 2) not opening the only package left with him for four years.
Underlined themes depicted in the movie for survival–
The basic concept of will power and defense mechanism is an underlined theme in the film to keep one interested and portrays as the key to survival.
· His transformation from a civilized person to a person thousands of years ago when humans were not civilized to again transform into a civilized man shows us that a person can keep himself alive in any situation.
· His reaction to ‘ I made fire ‘ was more of enthusiastic nature because he created something which he required to survive.
· His intellectual power is also depicted in various situations. Initially, it was hard to accept isolation because of negative emotions. As time passed, he found stability around him and in his living situation.
Key takeaways from the movie- Cast Away
· Hanks’ will and strength and his observational skills, insights him to make a sail through the resources he had to reach a civilized form. In short, he adapted to the situation he was going through.
· ‘Castaway‘ is a must-watch movie as it not only depicts some drama and adventure but helps the viewer ponder upon his/her personality and enables him/her to adapt to traits which one needs to respond to individuals and situations appropriately.· To depict the movie, especially character in one statement, it can be said that though isolation plays with the psyche of the mind but the will to survive brings back the hope to pass through the darker phase of life.